Do the Number of Followers You Have Actually Matter?


A couple days ago my friend told me, "Somebody is popular when they have more followers on Instagram".

At first, I agreed because 1) It was easier than having a heated discussion, and 2) it made sense that the more people someone knew, the more followers they would have. Kind of common sense, right? But then after a while her statement kind of sunk in, and I found myself disagreeing more and more...

I feel like people are always being glanced at and judged right away. Whether that's someone new from across the room or by their profile online.

When I was little I aspired to be like this girl at my elementary. She was my best friend and we were always picked together for class plays and group projects, and we begged to be on the same team in PE class whenever we played dodgeball.

One day for show-and-tell she presented to the class her nail polish collection. And let me tell you. Being the shy, girly girl I was, seeing her 17 different shades of neon pink, orange, and sparkly blue nail polishes made me want to be like her even more.

I came home from school that same day, and went straight into my own collection of polishes to see if I had any of the colours she showed the class. I had nowhere near as many colours as she had, and I almost felt the need to go and buy 10 new polishes just so I could be like her.

Because if I didn't have as many nail polishes, would she still want to be my friend? (Ahhh the mind of a 5-year-old)

But then I thought, maybe the number of followers you have online are like the number of nail polishes you have.

I don't think numbers should influence you as a person, or that you should ever change yourself because of that reason. After all, numbers are just a statistic that has nothing to do with the quality of the friendships you already have.

And with Instagram being stubborn (you all know what I'm talking about) you could gain 5 followers, then lose 11 by the next day.

That's NOT a ranking of popularity, and never should be.

So what do you think? Do you think the number of followers you have actually matter, or are they just a stat?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Places You Can Find Me:

Back to Top